18 November, 2007

Pink

Pink Forest
7.3" x 5.3"
Pastel

Casey Klahn



Pinks & Greens
7.8" x 6"
Pastel
Casey Klahn



Hill with Red Sky
12.5" x 9.5"
Pastel
Casey Klahn



The Four Seasons, Winter
14” x 10”

Pastel
Casey Klahn


The color pink is interesting for being really just light red, yet it has it's own name! Do blue and yellow demand equal treatment? Is it fair that light blue is just that, "light blue"?

The web is replete with sites that say things about pink, but I wish to avoid them. Their general bent is to assign meaning to the color, and I prefer to let you make your own associations. And my direction as a "colorist" artist leads me to avoid assigning meaning to any color. I am more interested in how pink interacts with other colors, and what the value ranges do to change these interactions.

The story of these paintings in pinks and greens is that I visualized doing an artwork with these colors, but it took me months of failure to finally get it the way I liked it. Then, what I learned from that first success (entitled "Pinks & Greens," above) enabled me to create more of them with this color composition.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The way you experiment with color is inspiring. I always thought pink and green had potential together, but hadn't seen it done well. I love your Pinks and Greens. It's so warm and vibrant.

Casey Klahn said...

Thanks, Meg.

Julia said...

It is eye candy. On the first pink painting I really like the light teal/turquoise against the trees. You often find tree bark scumbled with that cool green in the fall and winter. Great color abstraction.
Julia

Casey Klahn said...

Thanks, Julia. Everyone follow Julia's profile to her new blog: Oil Pastel.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful work Casey! You are so inspiring. Thanks for sharing these with us! *HUGS*

Casey Klahn said...

Thanks, Angela. You are a sweetheart.

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite

Abstract Expressionism, Art Criticism, Artists, Colorist Art, Drawing, History, Impressionism, Modern Art, Painting, Pastel, Post Impressionism