15 September, 2008

Characteristics & Goals

Blue Trees in the Middle Distance
7 - 3/8ths" x 5.75"
Pastel
Casey Klahn


Since my children are starting school, and my summer art fair season has ended, my goal review and new goal setting exercises happen now. One of the things that I learned from Alyson Stanfield, the Art Biz Coach, has been to think about and state your desired character traits along with your goals. In other words, what are the traits you aspire to along with your career progress?

The artist that I aspire to be has:

Commitment
Courage
Creative Integrity
Decisiveness
Excellence
Generosity
Knowledge
Self Understanding


These are loaded words and "heavy" language, but they have deeper meanings for me. I'll be posting on each one, to expand on what these attributes mean to me.

Need Motivation? Try this renowned article (soon to be a book?) by Gaping Void. Hugh MacLeod is the Gaping Void cartoonist, and a Marketing Strategist. Excerpt:

Ignore everybody.

The idea doesn't have to be big. It just has to be yours.

Merit can be bought. Passion can't.




Thanks, Katherine Tyrrell, for this link.


10 comments:

Deborah Paris said...

Hi Casey. We must be on the same wave length! I discovered Hugh's blog thru Katherine and have really been enjoying reading it over the last day or two. Look forward to see what you write about your characteristics and goals.

Adam Cope said...

like your blue trees casey

wishing you much creativity & happiness in your new cycle of work

with winter coming on, probably not so much plein-air chez-toi in the snows?

Casey Klahn said...

Come to think of it, I guess you're right about the snow and outdoor work, Adam. We won't see any until @ the latter part of November.

Too bad, since I am making breakthroughs outside.

I have half of the posts written, too, Deborah. Look for a post tomorrow, and thanks for reading.

Anonymous said...

Casey: Thanks for the mention. And the quote from Hugh. I just can't keep up with all of the good stuff out there, so it's great to pick it up through a 3rd party. And so good to know you're settling into your place.

Casey Klahn said...

I downloaded Hugh MacLeod's PDF booklet on How To Be Creative, and I recommend it. Funny, too.

Thanks for thinking about me and my new studio, Alyson. It is a slow process, but I think every step is important.

jafabrit said...

I like your list and will enjoy exploring them on your blog. Going to check out your links now.

all the best
from jafa the brit :)

Casey Klahn said...

I've been having fun exploring these words, too,, Corrine. The next one, courage, is a toughie.

jafabrit said...

I am taking a non traditional type drawing class and yes courage, hum. I am feeling very much out of my comfort zone.

colorspeaker said...

"Blues in the middle..."
Absolutely inspiring, as always. I also love the photo of you rock climbing.
Julianne

Casey Klahn said...

Thank you, Julianne.

Abstract Expressionism, Art Criticism, Artists, Colorist Art, Drawing, History, Impressionism, Modern Art, Painting, Pastel, Post Impressionism