05 August, 2010

100 Things I Love About Art

Winter Light
11.5" x 14.25"
Pastel
Casey Klahn


Why a hundred things?
Because it is an interesting exercise in editing.

These are not listed in any order.
  1. Color
  2. Graphite
  3. Willlem de Kooning
  4. Paper
  5. Art Studios
  6. Galleries
  7. Pastel Sticks
  8. Outdoor Art Fairs
  9. Art Societies
  10. Form
  11. Charcoal
  12. French Easels
  13. The Colorist Blog
  14. Italy
  15. Open Air
  16. The Figure
  17. Landscapes
  18. Proportion
  19. Collectors
  20. Children
  21. Henri Matisse
  22. Cartoons
  23. Wolf Kahn
  24. Rocks
  25. Jimmy Wright
  26. Artist's Models
  27. Wood
  28. Trees
  29. Blue
  30. Sculpture
  31. Love
  32. Black
  33. Pigment
  34. God
  35. Unity
  36. Courage
  37. Emotion
  38. Mass
  39. Mary Cassatt
  40. Andrew Wyeth
  41. Gesture
  42. Books
  43. Contradiction
  44. Museum Collections
  45. Weight
  46. Patronage
  47. Illumination
  48. Rosalba Carriera
  49. Florence in 1504
  50. Flow
  51. Instability
  52. Countenance
  53. The Agony and the Ecstasy
  54. Balance
  55. Bob Dylan
  56. Lines
  57. Creativity
  58. Plastic Space
  59. Analogies
  60. Pollock (Movie)
  61. Gray
  62. Artist's Traits
  63. Sketch Books
  64. Abstraction
  65. Realism
  66. Helen Frankenthaler
  67. Art History
  68. America
  69. Intuition
  70. The Golden Rectangle
  71. Pablo Picasso
  72. New York in 1950
  73. Master Copies
  74. Art Stores
  75. Edgar Degas
  76. Exhibitions
  77. Mark Rothko
  78. Optimism
  79. Rome in 1512
  80. Dimension
  81. Leonardo da Vinci
  82. The Palette
  83. Studio Easels
  84. Paris in 1904
  85. Taborets
  86. Architecture
  87. Caravaggio
  88. The Twentieth Century
  89. Scale
  90. Openings
  91. Vincent van Gogh
  92. Artist's Blogs
  93. Water
  94. Clay
  95. Cigar Boxes
  96. Influences
  97. Yellow
  98. The Colorist Daily
  99. Erasers
  100. Vision

What are your 100 things?

20 comments:

SamArtDog said...

Again, thanks so much for another thoughtful post. It revolves in my head like a kaleidoscope while I paint. Or cook. Or do laundry. Or walk the dog. Or shower. It's rocket fuel.

Casey Klahn said...

And these are only my 100, Sam. I wonder what you would choose?

irinapictures said...

Great idea. I will do mine 100. And will very much repeat your list. And add "freedom" for sure.
The most interesting part to fill the list without thinking

Casey Klahn said...

Freedom! Fantastic, Irina - I look forward to reading your list.

Antonio Estevez said...

Hi Casey. Thanks for following my arts blog. I appreciate it and absolutely love your work. I also was wondering if you would like to participate in a questionnaire for a feature on 2 websites Im involved in (including my blog). It would only take a few minutes and you could discuss your work. Also, I will definitely complete this exercise and post what I come up with. take care.

Jala Pfaff said...

Wow, nice painting!! So abstract. Love it.

Glad Rothko made your list. :)

Casey Klahn said...

Thank you on the painting, Jala! It is right across the road out my studio window, and done last winter (snowless!)

MR made the cut easily. It was actually the ones who didn't that are cause for curiosity, as well as other things.

That;s what makes this exercise so fun - the edit.

Casey Klahn said...

Hi, Antonio! Yes, send the questions anytime.

Sally Veach said...

I love how much and how many things you "love"! How many people can honestly pick 100 things that they LOVE about anything? Not just like better than something else, but love! We all need to think that way!

Casey Klahn said...

Good thoughts, Sally.

Kelly Borsheim Artist said...

Hi Casey,
I love your list, but alas, I am not too keen on more editing. ;-)
thanks for your work on it!

Casey Klahn said...

I appreciate that you read my blog at all, Kelly!

Unknown said...

101. Casey Klahn!

Casey Klahn said...

Very sweet, Kathy! Right back atchya!

I hope Maine is treating you well.

Dan Kent said...

I love this painting - the angular lines, the yellow, and the bright color in select places - the whole feel of it.

Great post. In reviewing your 100 I learned of some pastel artists I did not know, and got to peruse your excellent Artist Traits series!

Casey Klahn said...

Thanks for reading, and the compliments, Dan.

I hope to add to the artist's traits series after Labor Day.

loriann signori said...

That's quite a list Casey! How did you limit it to 100?

Casey Klahn said...

I have to admit staying on topic, within a range of ideas, was the difficult part, Loriann. I wanted to avoid "schools" or styles, too many artists, and trite or trivial things (as much as possible).

Breathtaking Vintage said...

My first 100 paintings. The ones that taught me the most. :)

Casey Klahn said...

Way to go, Lynne!

Abstract Expressionism, Art Criticism, Artists, Colorist Art, Drawing, History, Impressionism, Modern Art, Painting, Pastel, Post Impressionism