19 September, 2011

I Guess By Now You Know That I Don't Have a Method

<><><>

Lose The Conventions.


There isn't any magic method for working in the colorist style. So, what is there to teach in a workshop setting? Much! Because in your pastel bag, in addition to your supplies, you also carry around a set of conventions. They are your tried and true, "works every time," methods of working on your pictures.


I want to press those out of you.  The things you see when you search for painting subjects are ever new and fresh.  Can your paintings be new, also?


Hoquiam River Bright 10" x 14.75"Pastel & CharcoalCasey Klahn



Henri Matisse wrote, "We move towards serenity through the simplification of ideas and form.......Details lessen the purity of lines, they harm the emotional intensity, and we choose to reject them. It is a question of learning - and perhaps relearning the 'handwriting' of lines. The aim of painting is not to reflect history, because this can be found in books. We have a higher conception. Through it, the artist expresses his inner vision." Reference.


Workshops.


Next Workshop:  Oakland (El Cerrito), California.  November 5 & 6, 2011. Contact me via e-mail.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the sentiment, the work and the quote. -Beautiful blue peaking through the trees in that piece!

Sonya Johnson said...

Love the Matisse quote. And, you are so correct about the conventions we carry around as painters. I suppose the first step to breaking out of them is acknowledging they exist...

I can never afford to attend workshops, at least at this point, but I'm sure I'd get a lot out of yours. I hope they meet all your expectations!

Linda Roth said...

Thank you. Having worked in architectural design for years, details are me and I brought them with me when I took up painting. In the short time I've been blogging (gets me to paint regularly) and painting (gives me something to blog regularly), I've become more and more convinced that details tie a painting down; they kill spontaneity--and the life of a piece. Just this last weekend, I've begun to set myself free.--I'm sorry your next workshop isn't in the Detroit area.

Celeste Bergin said...

that photo reminds me how I sometimes dump out my tote bag (the one I use everyday) and use it for a "before" photo--then I straighten it all out and photograph it in it's new "neatened" state. I like the chaos AND the neatness--(that's actually a pretty good description of your paintings..out of control...but deliberate).

Debora L Stewart said...

I love the quote Casey and your painting on this post. That bright creamy white against the dark trees with pure blue popping through is wonderful. It has taken me years to get away from detail! For me detail kills expression.

Sharon said...

WOW! WOW, again.

Casey Klahn said...

Thanks to Aubrey, Sonya, Linda, Celeste, Debora and Sharon.

Donna T said...

Thanks for the quote, Casey. The part about details harming the emotional intensity will have me thinking all day. I love your painting - simplicity at its best!

Jala Pfaff said...

This is such a magnificent painting.

Casey Klahn said...

Donna and Jala - thanks!

Abstract Expressionism, Art Criticism, Artists, Colorist Art, Drawing, History, Impressionism, Modern Art, Painting, Pastel, Post Impressionism