22 April, 2018

Drawing Degas









Here is the trailer for my video featuring a large scale easel drawing. That longer video is available to my Patreon subscribers. It is a full start-to-finish of a 3 foot by 2 foot vine charcoal drawing where I respond to one of Degas' bather figurines.

As a result of seeing the Edgar Degas, A Passion for Perfection exhibit in Denver, I am on fire to adopt some of his techniques and moves. One thing I took away from his pastels was that I have been working too hard! What I mean is his shorthand for skin tones with pastels was earthshaking for me. 





Details of Edgar Degas pastels showing technique.


Your hand knows how to draw. Get out of the way and watch the magic.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are so right about Degas's less is more! Thanks for sharing your observations. Must be a great exhibit! I enjoy your blog very much! Thanks!

Casey Klahn said...

Hi, Sue! Thanks for the comments!!

Abstract Expressionism, Art Criticism, Artists, Colorist Art, Drawing, History, Impressionism, Modern Art, Painting, Pastel, Post Impressionism