31 May, 2018

Model as History



Mallory As Birgit Prestoe. 2018. Pastel. 12" x 6.5". Casey Klahn.



It's no secret how I admire Edvard Munch, of The Scream fame. His body of work is extensive, and he had a knack for the portrait in the Expressionist style. 

One of his great models was Birgit Prestoe, and in my latest portrait of model Mallory McIntosh, I am paying homage to that historic collaboration. 

I will make a side note that the antique Roche pastels used in the lay-in of this painting date from the time when Edvard Munch was in his prime. Spooky, I know. If only the tools could talk.

Edvard Munch. (1863-1944) Norwegian. 

No comments:

Abstract Expressionism, Art Criticism, Artists, Colorist Art, Drawing, History, Impressionism, Modern Art, Painting, Pastel, Post Impressionism