06 March, 2008

Birthday Artist

Michelangelo by Daniele Ricciarelli of Volterra




Happy birthday to Michelangelo Buonarroti, who was born on March 6, 1475, near Florence in Caprice, Tuscany.

I took the trouble of looking up Caprice on Google Maps, but it wouldn't be found this way. I had to use the comune of Arezzo as a reference. Suffice it to say, it is an Apennine backwater. However, they have rightfully named their village Caprice Michelangelo, after their favorite son who became known as the best artist of all time. Complimente!

3 comments:

Yellow said...

My Dad is a member of a book club called Post Script, from which he bought books full of old maps. Check them out for interesting recent publications of antiquated stuff.

Casey Klahn said...

I hate to say it, but I have a full size map table in our Quonset hut. Hundreds of maps are mouse food, now!

The reality of the day is that maps are now readily available online, and storage is an outdated practice! Antiques, though, are another matter.

Unknown said...

Here Here! I`ll have a toast to Michael later tonight and another tomorrow.
I have several books of aviation sectional maps, that you just made me think of. Doubt if I can even read them anymore even with my BIFOCALS.

Abstract Expressionism, Art Criticism, Artists, Colorist Art, Drawing, History, Impressionism, Modern Art, Painting, Pastel, Post Impressionism