31 March, 2009

Art Movies

Are you into art movies? There are so few of them that I take the opportunity to watch any that interest me.

I recently watched The Moderns via Netflix. I enjoyed this movie back in the eighties, when I watched a series of Alan Rudolph movies with Keith Carradine and Geneviève Bujold. This one is about Modern art and deception, set in nineteen-twenties Paris. In a web of deceit, our romantic artist moves among the ex-patriot crowd of American somebodies that includes Gertrude Stein and Ernest Hemingway. Typical love and gun play movie stuff, but also featuring Modigliani, Cezanne and Matisse. Is Modern art a big hoax? See what you think.

Still to be released is the movie Local Color. I'll embed the emotionally moving trailer, and I think you'll see why it should be a hit with artists.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

art, great to create, great to watch being created

You may not get to see this festival - 27 years running ... but it may give you some idea of new films on art that are out there, possibly then you can find those that interest you to see

http://www.artfifa.com/index.php?lang=en

have a great spring break!

Adam Cope said...

Cou Cou, you been awarded! & it's not an april fool either ;-)

ps, you got this one in your collection?

Casey Klahn said...

Thanks to anon for the link to Fifa, which looks great and I had never heard of it before.

Thank you, Adam, for this kind award. No, I don't have this one, but now I am behind by two awards that I need to respond to! Not a bad problem, though.

Jala Pfaff said...

This movie looks high on the Cheez factor.

Casey Klahn said...

As in Cheez Whiz?

I like the lines, "painting is dead!" and "there are no heroes anymore!" I thought those rang true.

Jala Pfaff said...

I liked "Vincent and Theo" and "Camille Claudel," though of course both are tearjerkers.

Casey Klahn said...

You softie.

I'll have to Google those.

MadSilence said...

NetFlix is an excellent source of art-themed shows. Just received another Art21 from PBS.

Casey Klahn said...

That's one I hadn't thought of!

Abstract Expressionism, Art Criticism, Artists, Colorist Art, Drawing, History, Impressionism, Modern Art, Painting, Pastel, Post Impressionism