11 November, 2009

Quotes On Content

Melancholy
o/c, 1874
Edgar Degas




The post on content is finally written, but I have split it in two. While researching, I dug up some fascinating quotes by artists on content. Reference: artquotes.net.


"I'm painting an idea not an ideal. Basically I'm trying to paint a structured painting full of controlled, and therefore potent, emotion." Euan Uglow.

"The holy grail is to spend less time making the picture than it takes people to look at it." Banksy.

"It doesn't matter how the paint is put on, as long as something is said." Pollock.

"A painting requires a little mystery, some vagueness, some fantasy. When you always make your meaning perfectly plain you end up boring people." Degas.

"In art, one idea is as good as another. If one takes the idea of trembling, for instance, all of a sudden most art starts to tremble. Michelangelo starts to tremble. El Greco starts to tremble. All the Impressionists start to tremble." de Kooning.

Tomorrow: my thoughts on content.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the quotes! Especially the one by Eaun Uglow...thanks!!

Casey Klahn said...

Thanks for reading, too, Cindy.

Yellow said...

I love Degas idea. I think that's what draws me to a lot of particular works of art, and keeps me returning to them, because I don't 'get' it all in the first sitting, as it were.

Casey Klahn said...

It's fun to pick a favorite, huh, Steph? I think mine is Banksy's quote (which surprises me) because the speedy render is a big thing to me.

Abstract Expressionism, Art Criticism, Artists, Colorist Art, Drawing, History, Impressionism, Modern Art, Painting, Pastel, Post Impressionism