21 January, 2010

Eddy Out River Sketch

Eddy Out River
Graphite
@ 5" x 7"
Casey Klahn



The sketch is a place to think through one's picture idea - the image you want to bring forth. Many times, the drawing cannot be improved upon by paint or pastel - color may or may not add anything to the story.

So, the questions begin. What will color add to this image? If anything more can be said by developing this into a painting, then which colors to start with? Will I change the idea too much by evolving this image? If it changes, will that new image be better than this?

What are your ideas on the transition of an image from a drawing to a painting?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It's all about decisions, isn't it? I usually retain my preliminary drawing as it is and redraw it onto my painting surface to create the painting. That way, I have both in the end.

Casey Klahn said...

I do, too, Kathy. Like this sketch, on bulk paper, which serves as an outline.

OTOH, I suppose the artist who draws directly on his surface may be getting his best, freshest effort that way.

pondocus said...

I like to use a sketch to plan out a larger painting. Getting a feel for layout, perspective, tone, and that kinda thing. So it isn't really a question of "will colors make this image better?" but rather "how can I transfer the qualities of this sketch into a different medium?".
BTW, really digging your sketch work. Reminds me I really need to get back out there to do some more landscape sketching and sketches from life.

Casey Klahn said...

A tried and true method, Mr. Pondicus.

I'm glad you have started an artist blog - I wish you the best with it.

Very happy you are inspired to draw!

Abstract Expressionism, Art Criticism, Artists, Colorist Art, Drawing, History, Impressionism, Modern Art, Painting, Pastel, Post Impressionism