28 May, 2010

On The Other Hand - Artist's Quotes




Artist's Quotes.


"I begin with an idea and then it becomes something else,"  Pablo Picasso.

"Artists can color the sky red because they know it's blue. Those of us who aren't artists must color things the way they really are or people might think we're stupid,
" Jules Feiffer.

"Artists are, above all, men who want to become inhuman," Guillaume Apollinaire.

 
"Once, after finishing a picture, I thought I would stop for awhile, take a trip, do things--the next time I thought of this, I found five years had gone by," Willem deKooning.

"The first mistake of art is to assume that it's serious," 
Lester Bangs.

"Its hard to find the light when you're born in the dark," 
Emile Zola.

"I don't know what to do with my arms. It just makes me feel weird and I feel like people are looking at me and that makes me nervous,"  Tyra Banks.

"Poor is the pupil who does not surpass his master,"  Leonardo da Vinci.

"Very few people possess true artistic ability. It is therefore both unseemly and unproductive to irritate the situation by making an effort. If you have a burning, restless urge to write or paint, simply eat something sweet and the feeling will pass," 
Fran Lebowitz.



Note:

Loriann Signori is treating her readers to fresh quotes that she gleaned from attending master artist Wolf Kahn's recent talk.  One thing I like about Mr. Kahn is that he doesn't play the, "I know something you don't know" game.  He generously shares his painting wisdom, and then the challenge is on your shoulders.  Paint well, my friends!

9 comments:

SamArtDog said...

Stunning photo of you and your fellow gossip, Casey!

Ain't Tyra brilliant?

Casey Klahn said...

You are referring to Vincent and me? We enjoy this spot by the Seine on occasion...

He is insufferable company, but, then again, I never said I wasn't.

I like the out-of-place feeling Tyra shares. Much like the artist in us all.

bridget Hunter said...

I love the quote by Franz Lebowitz ! How I feel many a time.

Casey Klahn said...

I am eating sweets right now. She was right!

loriann signori said...

Hi Casey, Hee hee about the last quote, although I tend to rephrase. Eating something sweet only enhances the painting experience. Both things I do constantly. Thank you once again for your mention of my blog. WK gave so many wonderful tidbits to share. It's he we should thank.

Casey Klahn said...

I'm so glad you took notes, Loriann!

The FL quote seems to be the big hit in this set.

Celeste Bergin said...

Picasso was so smart

Casey Klahn said...

My respect for PP grows with time. He has made it into both posts in this quote series so far.

Casey Klahn said...

My respect for PP grows with time. He has made it into both posts in this quote series so far.

Abstract Expressionism, Art Criticism, Artists, Colorist Art, Drawing, History, Impressionism, Modern Art, Painting, Pastel, Post Impressionism