25 October, 2010

Repost Research

The Colorist


Number 31, 1950
at the MoNA
Jackson Pollock

Lavender Mist, 1954
Jackson Pollock



Here are a selection of Jackson Pollock links.


Jackson Pollock:

  • New York Times On Topic for Jackson Pollock-Link. Best to read the NYT if you value critics that use words like "inimitability". Otherwise, follow their Jackson Pollock Navigator until you find an article that makes some sense.
  • My dated post on the topic of Jackson Pollock links.
  • Squidoo Lens on Pollock.
  • MoMA Collection of Pollocks. Link. From the NYT list, but I'll put it here as an important collection.
  • The Art News Blog lists these links for Pollock.
  • The Pollock-Krasner House.
  • Pollocksthebollocks is a blog with a base in Abstract Expressionism.
  • The movie about Jackson Pollock has certainly pushed forward his star in the public conscience. My review is found here.
  • There is an interesting video legacy of the drip painter which may do much for his posterity as we go further into this digital age. Hans Namuth and Paul Falkenberg.
  • Jackson Pollock Unauthorized. Looks like bootleg prints, but some good info, too.


You can't get through Pollock without visiting Abstract Expressionism.

  • Here are my posts on the topic.
  • I recommend the Wikipedia post on the topic.
  • This book, Taschen's Abstract Expressionism, by Barbara Hess, is a good pictorial analysis, by artist, of the great American movement.
  • A dated Wordpress blog with some nice AE references.

And the inimitable Clement Greenberg requires some study if you want to cover JP correctly:












5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow - you put lots of work into this post! Pollock is one of my favorite artists. I remember looking at pictures of his work in books during my teen years and not thinking too much about them. Decades later, I visited his work at the Met and was bowled-over. The paintings you posted are large enough to involve one's peripheral vision when standing close enough. That's an amazing experience because you can feel the energy and rhythms. Thanks for this post!

Clive said...

I was just at an auction house in Victoria and there was an unsigned but original (off the original plate) of Kathe Kolwitz's woman with dead child. No coloured plate tone as in the repro below, just black ink, georgeous, surprisingly rough. Best thing in the auction but far from most expensive, estimated value 6-800 cdn. If I was a packrat I'd have bought it myself.

Interesting Pollack posts; I'll never wade through them all, but if you want a more cynical look at New York in the era of abstract expressionism check out Sophie Burman's 'The Art Crowd'. I'd like to read it again after 25 years since I last went through it; all I recall is how she points out that Clement Greenburg would visit artists studios and in return for a chunk of their work would write rave reviews about them. Sort of insider trading...!

Casey Klahn said...

You make a great point, Kathy. The size of the Abstract Expressionist's works were part of their statement. I like that comment about taking in the peripheral. OTOH, I like the way deKooning kept his works within an arm span.

Hey, Clive! I wonder if the print was pulled by Kollewitz herself? I remember seeing casts of the little ballerina done by Degas' students after he passed away. Sounds fascinating.

I would like to see the book on "The Art Crowd." I have mixed feelings on the inside trader meme. For instance, I think the prosecution of such can be predatory, too. Poor Martha Stewart! Greenberg no doubt had a racket, but the test is whether his writing holds up over time. I was fascinated to read that his works are in Portland.

Celeste Bergin said...

trying to increase your search optimization? lol..j/k
Great post. Kvan and I saw a Pollock in Seattle last week. It is a great experience to see a "real" Pollock

Casey Klahn said...

You caught me, Celeste. But, that's because you are a close reader here.

I didn't know they had a JP in Seattle - other than JP Patches, that is. I did see one at the MoMa.

Maybe I'll get to see that before the end of the year.

Abstract Expressionism, Art Criticism, Artists, Colorist Art, Drawing, History, Impressionism, Modern Art, Painting, Pastel, Post Impressionism